Summit Forests New Zealand Limited (Summit Forests) is a New Zealand registered subsidiary company of Sumitomo Corporation Japan. In March 2013 Summit purchased the former Juken New Zealand Limited Forest Estate (36,000 ha) within Northland. All local staff and contracts transferred across to the new company, bringing with them 24 years’ experience managing these forests. In order to ensure the full value of our products is captured, Summit developed a dedicated log exporting department which links into the already well-established Sumitomo Corporation trading business. The log exporting department is directly linked into Sumitomo Corporation’s extensive international business networks and allows Summit to fully realise the value of the estate in addition to the existing domestic supply.
“Our Corporate Mission: is to achieve success and goals through sound and sustainable business activities”
The original founder of Sumitomo was Masatomo Sumitomo (1585-1652). Masatomo’s first business was trading medicinal remedies. However, it was not long before Masatomo joined forces with his brother-in-law (who had recently perfected Nanban-buki, [Western refining method]) to move into the copper refining business. It was this technological breakthrough and astute business practices which set the foundation of the Sumitomo Corporation we see today. Sumitomo is proud to call itself an “Integrated Trading Company”; with trading networks and business interests operating in over 65 countries throughout the world. The Sumitomo Corporation Group consists of nearly 790 companies with approximately 72,000 personnel. Based on Masatomo “Founders Precepts” today’s business philosophy is; “benefit for self and others, private and public interests are one and the same”, meaning Sumitomo business must not only benefit Sumitomo, but also bring benefit to the country and society it operates in. Sumitomo is committed to responsible forestry management and is currently certified under the Forest Stewardship Council certification program in both Sumitomo’s New Zealand and Russian forestry interests. It is this commitment to sustainability that drives us to achieve excellence within all our forest operations. To find out more about Sumitomo Corporation, please visit: http://www.sumitomocorp.co.jp/english/
We aim to create long term sustainable value by growing People, Products and Partners within the New Zealand forest industry.
We place prime importance on transparency, integrity and sound management with utmost respect for all stakeholders.
To enable a passionate team by respecting diversity and embracing innovation.
VALUES, BEHAVIOURS & BUSINESS PRACTICE
The behavior and commitments of Summit Forests New Zealand Limited are bound by the Sumitomo founding principles of “Monjuin Shiigaki” (Founders Precepts: est 1585). Monjuin Shiigaki forms the basis of Sumitomo’s Business Philosophy:
- Pursuing strength and prosperity by placing prime importance on integrity and sound management in the conduct of its business
- Benefit for self and others, private and public interests are one and the same: Sumitomo’s business, while benefiting Sumitomo, must also benefit the nation and benefit society
- View business from a broad and long-term perspective and working for the benefit of the entire nation and society based on foresight of the future
- People are our most important asset.” The cultivation and development of human resources is our most important concern regardless of the times”
- To always maintain an enterprising spirit; to stay a step ahead in dealing with change, while ascribing importance to maintaining integrity and sound management, avoiding easy gains, and working for the public interest, without being misled by short-term immediate changes
- To support our shareholders, clients, local communities, employees, and everyone else around the world in their endeavors to achieve economic and spiritual prosperity and realize their dreams through our sound business activities
WE AIM TO BE:
The leading forest company in New Zealand; creating value by growing People, Products, Partners and Prosperity
“Our mission is to protect the land and our environment for all future generations”.
WE WILL ACHIEVE THIS BY…
- Actively developing the next generation of human resources who will drive the sustainable development of society, and contribute to local communities in all areas we conduct our business.
- Widening the use of Radiata pine in all manufactured goods markets
- Actively participating in the New Zealand and international forest and wood products industry
- Promoting the sustainable nature of plantation forests
- Undertaking sustainable planting and replanting in order to secure the long-term viability of the company and the positive environmental and social outcomes from its activities
SAFETY COMES FIRST AT SUMMIT FORESTS
WE ARE 100% COMMITTED…
to leading and supporting an industry that can work in a safe and enjoyable environment and focuses on the well being of the people working in the estate.
“Our goal is to ensure that every person associated with our business will return home safety to their families every night.”
Above all else, the safety of our people is Summit’s highest priority. As such, safety is our number one consideration in planning and undertaking all forestry related operations.
Here is a link to a summary page of our current Health and Safety Policy GC-001 Health and Safety Policy Summary